Life of Anneliese Michel
If someone says "Ghost don't exist", then they should read this. The story reveals a horrendous life of a lady, named Anneliese Michel, born on 1952.

The Real Story of Anneliese

It was 1969, Anneliese was in her 16. From that time she began suffering from unusual seizures happening during the night. All of sudden she felt her body was becoming rigid. Sometime she sensed an enormous weight on her chest. More than these all, paralysis and inability to speak was experienced.

Early symptoms of demonic possession

Anneliese Michel
When Anneliese was at the Psychiatric Clinic in Wurzburg, Doctors diagnosed epilepsy in her. After that she was sent and remained for one year in a psychiatric hospital in Mittleberg. In Mittleberg psychiatric hospital she started seeing demonic faces at the time of her daily prayers. Doctors admitted this as the main Epileptic seizures. Anneliese returned to secondary school during the autumn in the year 1970, and in 1973, she attended the University of Wurzburg where she studied elementary education. In this scope we must state that after her death the autopsy report including microscopic study of the brain, didn't find any damages or noticeable changes that could be pointed for the alleged epilepsy.

Devil faces in the psychiatric hospital and involvement of the Church

After staying for one year at the psychiatric hospital her health did not improved. Moreover, she began to suffer from depression. Anneliese began to attribute her condition to demonic possession. She grew increasingly frustrated with medical intervention as it did not affect what she perceived as her real problems. Long-term of medical treatment proved unsuccessful; her condition, including her depression, became worsened with time.
In psychiatric hospital
After the third seizure in June 1970, during her stay at the psychiatric hospital, she was prescribed with an unknown anticonvulsant. The medicine did not cure her of seizures; she also continued to see what she described as "devil faces" at different moments throughout the day. The medicine also causes brain cells to lose sodium; this might have been the cause of Anneliese's absenteeism. She became convinced that conventional medicine was of no help, as it did not make her better in the least. Growing increasingly adamant that her illness was of a spiritual kind, she asked the Church to perform exorcism on her. At that time, however, she was denied help of this kind. The same month she was prescribed another anticonvulsant, which raises the convulsion threshold of the nervous system.

Risky treatment to a girl of childbearing age

In 1973 on November – Anneliese started her treatment with Tegretol which, according to Physicians Desk Reference, should not be prescribed to women of childbearing age due to its dangerous effect on red blood cells. Anneliese took this medicine frequently, until shortly before her death, when she was unable to swallow anything.

Finally Church permitted for Exorcism

On September 1975 – Anneliese was finally allowed exorcism by the Church, weekly exorcism sessions began using the full Rituale Romanum. Michel died the next year because of stopping medical and psychiatric interference. An investigation revealed that she was too thin and dehydrated, her parents and the priests responsible were charged with carelessness. This case attracted media and public attention because of the Catholic Church's approval of such an old rite to be performed on her. The film named The Exorcism of Emily Rose is loosely based on her.

In The Early Life

Anneliese Michel was born on September 21, 1952, in Leiblfing, Bavaria, West Germany in a Catholic family. She was brought up along with three sisters by her parents, Josef and Anna. Her father owned a saw-mill, her parent was devout Catholics and she grew into a deeply religious person. She was extremely religious and went to mass twice a week. When she was sixteen, she suffered a severe convulsion and was diagnosed with having spiritual lobe epilepsy.


After 5 years, her parents visited different pastors to request an exorcism. Their requests were rejected and they were given recommendations that the now 20 year old Anneliese should continue with medication and treatment. It was explained that the process by which the Church proves a possession is strictly defined, and until all the criterion are met, a Bishop can not approve an exorcism. The requirements, to name a few, take in a dislike to religious objects, speaking in a language the person has never learned, and supernatural powers. They went to a priest whose name was Ernst Alt. after looking at Anneliese he said that "she didn't look like an epileptic" nor was she having attacks. He felt that she was suffering from demonic possession and urged the local bishop to allow an exorcism.
In a letter to him in 1975, Michel wrote, "I am nothing, everything about me is vanity, what should I do? I have to improve, you pray for me" and also once told him, "I want to suffer for other people...but this is so cruel". In September of the same year, Bishop Josef Stangl granted the priest Arnold Renz permission to exorcise according to the Rituale Romanum of 1614, but ordered total secrecy. Renz carried out the first session on 24 September. Her parents stopped seeking medical treatment and relied solely on the exorcism rites.
From September '75 till July '76, one or two exorcism sessions were held each week. During this time, Anneliese found her life somewhat return to normal as she could again go to school, take final examinations at the Pedagogic Academyin Wurzburg, and even go to church. The attacks, however, did not stop.
In fact, she would more often find herself paralyzed and falling unconscious than before. The exorcism continued over many months, always with the same prayers and incantations. For several weeks, Anneliese stop having her food. Her knees ruptured due to the 600 genuflections she performed obsessively during the daily exorcism. The last day of the Exorcism Rite was on June 30th, 1976, and Anneliese was suffering at this point from Pneumonia. She was also totally emaciated, and running a high fever. Things went such a painful stage she was unable to bow down to, parents of Anneliese carried her through the motions. The last statement through the motions. made to the exorcists was "Beg for Absolution". Then she said to her mother "Mother, I'm afraid". On July 1st, 1976, Mother of Anneliese Anna Michel recorded the death of her daughter. The authorities in Aschaffenburg were informed by Pastor Ernst ALT..

Passing Away (Death)

On 1 July 1976, Michel died in her home. The autopsy report stated the cause was malnutrition and dehydration because of being in a semi-starvation state for about a year while the rites of exorcism were performed. She weighed 30 kilograms (68 pounds) and the previous day, she had broken knees due to the continuous genuflections and was not capable to move without assistance, and was reported to have been suffering from pneumonia.

The Court Case

Later than an investigation, the state prosecutor said Anneliese's death could have been prohibited even one week before she died. He charged all four defendants Pastor Ernst Alt and Father Arnold Renz as well as the parents with careless homicide for failing to call a medical doctor. The trial started on March 30, 1978 in the district court and drew strong interest. Before the court, the doctors claimed the woman was not possessed, although Dr. Richard Roth, who was asked for medical help by Father Alt, allegedly said after the exorcism he witnessed on May 30, 1976 that "there is no injection against the devil." The only doctor present believed her possessed.
Anneliese in Childhood
Before the trials, the parents asked authorities for permission to exhume the remains of Anneliese. They did so as a result of a message received from a Carmelite nun from the district of Allgau in southern Bavaria. The nun had told the parents that she had a vision that their daughter's body was still whole, and that was proof of the supernatural character of her case. The official reason given by her parents to authorities was that Anneliese had been buried in a great hurry in a cheap coffin. Almost two years after the burial, on February 25, 1978, her remains were moved into a new oak-coffin lined with tin. Bishop Josef Stangl, who approved the exorcism and was in contact a dozen times with the two priests through letters on the case, was also investigated by state authorities, but they decided not to indict him or ask him to appear at the trial due to his age and poor health. The bishop stated that his actions were all within the bounds of canon law.

Consequences of the Court Case

Prosecutors took more than 2 years to take Annaliese's case to court, using that time to sort through the bizarre facts. Anneliese's parents and the two exorcists were blamed of careless homocide. The "Klingenberg Case" would be decided upon two questions: What caused the death of Anneliese Michel, and who was responsible?
According the forensic evidence, "Anneliese ravenous to death". Specialists claimed that if the accused would have begun with forced feeding one week before her death, Anneliese's life would have been saved.
One sister told the court that Anneliese did not want to go to a mental home where she would be sedated and forced to eat.The psychiatrists, who had been ordered to testify by the court, spoke about the "Inflexible Induction". They said that the priests had provided Anneliese with the contents of her psychotic behavior. The verdict was considered by many as not as cruel as they expected. Anneliese's parents, as well as the exorcists, were found guilty of homicide resulting from negligence and skipping first aid. They were punished to 6 months in jail and probation. The decision included the opinion of the court that the charged should have helped by taking care of the medical treatment that the girl needed, but in its place, their use of immature practices aggravated Anneliese's already poor constitution.
Let your friends know about her by sharing this page. Use the left buttons to like and share among your friends.
Notable Exorcisms